By Jeff Simpson
We all know the Pope was in Washington DC yesterday.
The start of a very interesting visit from a Great Man. It even got started as cool as possible, when the Pope, who left his Popemobile at home and arrived in a Fiat.
Quite possibly though, the coolest thing the Pope did yesterday was snub a bipartisan coalition of politicians.
One noticeable thing that seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle is that none of the politicians offered to join Pope Francis and help serve the homeless. Apparently helping them become homeless is all our politicians can handle.
Luckily, we at CogDis were able to check the calendars and realize why the leaders in Congress were too busy to join the Pope yesterday for lunch.
* Nancy Pelosi was to busy trying to get the Trans Pacific Partnership fast tracked.
* Harry Reid had to work on making sure we do not raise the minimum wage.
* John Boehner was going to spend the day trying to figure out how to end the peace treaty with Iran.
* Mitch McConnell was too embarrassed since he has blocked to many jobs bills and helped add to our homeless veteran problem throughout his career.
* Bonus Calendar Check: Wisconsin's own Super Catholic, Paul Ryan would have been there to help but he is not running for Vice President anymore and he is way too busy planning his anti poverty conference to worry about the homeless.
I imagine the conversation going like this:
McConell; Your Holiness would you like us to take you to lunch? We have an expense account.
Boehner: As long as you don'd mind if I smoke.
Pope Francis: Sorry I have plans to head to the church and feed the homeless. We could use some help.
Pelosi: Yea, ummm, well, ummm, I have to wash my hair.
Reid; O sorry I have to take this call(exits left).
Boehner/McConell: Dont look at us.