Senator Lena Taylor (D-Milwaukee) issued the following statement following Governor Walker’s signature today on AB 85, the Milwaukee County Board Bill.Have you ever seen anyone work so hard to polish a turd?
“Today marks the end of a long process by which AB 85 became law. This bill, as it is now signed, is better than the original bill proposed by the majority party. Milwaukee citizens should take note of serious changes that were made to better protect the balance of power in our county. Some of these changes include:
“This is not a perfect law and there are provisions that I believe need to be addressed in follow-up legislation. However, this bill is a better product, because in this time of great partisan divide, we negotiated and accomplished changes in law rather than just firing press releases back and forth at each other.”
- The Supervisors salary will be set at the per capita income (approx. $24,000) rather than $15,000, IF the referendum in adopted.
- An independent research office created in the Comptroller’s office to protect independent analysis of issues.
- Restrictions on the ability of the county executive to compel a special meeting of the board.
- Added language protecting the ability of supervisors to interact and communicate with departments.
- Statutory regulation requiring the purchase and sale of assets comply with county policy, as set by supervisors.
- An exemption of fixed costs, such as rent and legacy costs from the county board’s budget cap.
- Both the county executive and county board will have at least one lobbyist reporting to each.”
No matter what she says, the facts are the same. She has helped remove democracy and representative government from her own constituents as well as everyone else in Milwaukee County. She helped put a plutocratic tyranny in place.
What Taylor is doing is trying to have her cake and eat it too.
One one hand, she is claiming that she made the law better, but wouldn't show up for the photo ops and says it needs fixing. But then again, she had no problem partying it up with her new fascist friends.
On the other hand, she says the laws is bad and needs fixing, but had sponsored it and voted for it.
She can't have it both ways. She made her bed and now she can lie in it. Besides, she'll need a place once the voters remove her from office, as she so richly deserves.