Monday, September 7, 2009

True Story

As the gentle reader might have surmised, we took a quick break and enjoyed part of the holiday weekend up at the northern castle. As might be expected, a lot of other people also took advantage of the beautiful weather for one last summer getaway.

While up there, I stopped by a neighbor's house to pay a visit. I found them outside with another couple who turned out to be new neighbors that had recently retired and moved up to their cabin to live.

The old neighbor, Neighbor 1 (N1) introduced me to the new couple and told them that I live in Milwaukee and am a social worker. It turned out that the woman (N2) had been a social worker in Washington County.

The conversation went something like this:

N1: Ya, Chris is a social worker for Milwaukee County. But they are having a heckuva time down there with that Scott Walker screwing everything up.

N2: Who's Scott Walker?

N1: I don't know too much about him, except what I see on the news or read in the paper. All I know is he's pretty much an a**hole and he wants to be governor. But he keeps messing things up in Milwaukee.

N2: Oh, now I know who you're talking about. Didn't he drop out yet?

Me: [...] (I couldn't say anything. I was too busy laughing.)

5 comments:

  1. "N1: Ya, Chris is a social worker for Milwaukee County. But they are having a heckuva time down there with that Scott Walker screwing everything up."
    Boy, what a conversation starter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, no one else on the county board is screwing things up. Or spending the county into oblivion. Nope, nothing to see here. It's all Walkers fault. Move along!!

    Other than that, I'm hoping you like your new neighbors..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan,

    Pththththththth!

    Bill,

    No one from the County Board is running for governor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So that free's them from responsibility?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not saying that. But they are here trying to do what they think is the right thing, whether we agree or not. Walker couldn't give a damn. To him, Milwaukee is just a stepping stone.

    ReplyDelete