Sunday, May 10, 2009

Kowalski: Don't Privatize Airport

Greg Kowalski, a man that knows development, has got it figured out:

Milwaukee area transit, in my opinion, needs a little more than $1 billion to truly get up to par with similar-sized cities such as Portland or Denver. The KRM commuter rail line alone is planned to cost somewhere in the ballpark of $300 million, and that’s connecting several southern suburbs, Racine, and Kenosha with Downtown Milwaukee. If the area wants to get serious on transit, that KRM needs to expand on several angles, including links to Waukesha, Port Washington, and West Bend. That alone, in future phases, could easily triple or quadruple the total investment in the system when the time comes.

But just looking at what is needed currently, a $300 million KRM and a revamped busing system could use up half of what Walker visions to be an excellent privatization investment. What’s missing is the fact that the $1 billion over 50 years would likely be nothing too spectacular. Items such as a 1% increase in sales taxes at this time seem to be a more doable solution and isn’t limited in return. While the increases now are balked at, if the dollars are invested wisely the area can begin to revitalize itself and make it a true, strong competitor in the United States.

Do read the whole thing.

1 comment:

  1. Bravo to Greg Kowalski,

    I know that there is a lot of old abandoned railroad grade out there that is begging for some light rail or the heavier diesel powered commuter rail. I can't tell you how sick I am of politicians being timid and pussy footing around the rail issues that would shoot our economy forward.

    When I take Amtrak to Chicago and if its snowing I know that there are a few things that I can count on. The train will be going 70mph, I will get a little view of the Dan Ryan on the right hand side of the track and there will be a lot of cars parked on it. I will get to Chicago on time while I relax work on my laptop and enjoy a soda.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete