Friday, November 21, 2008

Popcorn Turkey

Last year, I put up a post at folkbum's giving readers a chance to try a new Thanksgiving Day recipe. Just in case one of my 5.3 readers missed it, I will repost it here:
An oldie, but a goodie...

Here is a Thanksgiving Turkey recipe that also includes the use of popcorn as a stuffing - imagine that.

When I found this recipe, I thought it was perfect for people like me, who just are not sure how to tell when poultry is thoroughly cooked, but not dried out. Give this a try.

BAKED STUFFED TURKEY

10-12 lb. Turkey
1 cup melted butter
1 cup stuffing (Pepperidge Farm is good.)
5 cups uncooked popcorn (ORVILLE REDENBACHER 'S LOW FAT)
Salt/pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush Turkey well with melted butter, salt, and pepper. Fill cavity with stuffing and popcorn. Place in baking pan with the neck end toward the back of the oven.Listen for the popping sounds. When the turkey's ass blows the oven door open and flies across the room, it's done.

Imagine the look on your loved ones' faces as you show off your culinary skills.
WARNING: If you decide to try this recipe (and you won't be sorry if you do) please print out the recipe and follow it exactly. Mr. Know-It-All, Dad29, didn't do that when he tried it last year and ended up with, shall we say, less than perfect results. (The good news is that Mom29 and the children are progressing nicely in therapy, and should be released from the hospital in another year or two. Unfortunately, there is still no word on the whereabouts of Dog29.)

3 comments:

  1. Oh, oh, my.

    I would have to try this on a non-Thanksgiving day turkey cooking experience. Of course I believe it tastes good. But stuffing is a personal experience that you grow up with.

    I brine my turkey...soak it (I am cooking 40 lbs of turkey)in a bath of apple cider, orange rind, salt and spices for 24 hours before cooking. It never fails to be juicy.

    My stuffing? A good old fashioned Wonder bread, celery and onion with shredded carrot for sweeetness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was no dog.

    There are/were 2 cats...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somehow, I never imagined you to be a cat person. Now, whenever I see your name, a different picture will be popping in my head.

    ReplyDelete