Saturday, August 2, 2008

The Search Continues

A couple of months ago, I wrote about Serb Hall and their sudden and drastic decline in quality and affordability. We haven't been back since then.

Last night, my family and I decided it was time to find a new place for our beloved fish fry. The first place we thought we'd try was Meyer's Restaurant & Bar. We had heard good things about it from many different people. While it wasn't all you can eat, we were told they do serve seconds on request, so we thought that was worth the try.

When we arrived, we could tell it was very busy, which was promising. I dropped my father and wife off at the door and went to park. When I got in, my wife told me that there was a twenty minute wait. So I thought I'd use the time constructively and went to the host station to get a menu to look at. While there, I looked around and my heart sank.

By far, the majority of people their were senior citizens. I know this is stereotyping, and I apologize, but it has been by experience that as people get older, they don't tolerate a lot of spice or seasoning. I became concerned that the food would be generic.

Our wait was much less than the twenty minutes, and we were seated at our table. Our waitress, was nice enough, but it appeared that she was so rushed that the service was a little sloppy and impersonal. She served us rolls, which were supposed to be rye, but it was so light that we thought they were whole wheat. Then she brought out a bowl of potato salad, bean salad, and cole slaw. All three came in small metal bowls, while probably a smart idea as they don't break and clean easily, reminded me of dog food dishes.

The salads and slaw were OK, but nothing very special.

She then brought out the fish. It was all I could do to bite my tongue and point out that we didn't order any appetizers. Each plate had three small, and I do mean small, pieces of fish, and our choice of potatoes. Each piece of fish was about the size of a large fish stick. I noticed that there were no lemon wedges to squeeze on the fish, which is the way I prefer my fish fry. I asked her for some, and she brought out a plate containing three wedges that were each about one sixty-fourth of a lemon.

I also asked her for seconds right away, as did everyone else. After a quizzical look at us, she said she would get them. It took her very little time to get them, but we were still finished with the first plate when she came. There were two more fish sticks for each of us. Oh, boy.

The fish itself was OK, but again, rather pedestrian and plain.

We decided without any hesitation that we would be willing to try Meyer's again, but definitely not for a fish fry.

The search continues...

4 comments:

  1. dog food dishes

    They knew you were a Lefty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, try the Venice Club in Brookfield. (You can schedule a meet with Tim Rock!)

    About $12.00/serving, includes fries or potato pancakes, bread, coleslaw but no veggies.

    HUGE portions, no seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Regarding the dishes, that's what I get for telling them that I knew you...

    Venice Club sounds good, even if Tim can't make it, though I am looking forward to the day I finally do get to meet him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Umnnhhhhh... if you had actually told them you knew me, you would have been tossed outta the joint.

    ReplyDelete